Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Chuseok: Korea's Thanksgiving


Ran out of new pics so I'm going to use a few old ones you haven't seen.

This week we celebrated Chusoek in Korea.  It is very much like the American Thanksgiving.  The celebration occurs over 3 days, with the middle one being the main day.  It is a time for getting together with family and friends for dinner.  The main difference is that watching football is replaced with drinking massive quantities of Soju (Korean liquor).  For me it meant a 4 day weekend :)

With just over a month left, my students continue to do a wonderful job amusing me.  Thursday, some of the 6th graders and I were playing games between classes when one of them punched my stomach.  Didn't hurt of course but the follow up comment almost did.  He got this surprised look, started poking my stomach and said "Oh Teacher, chocolate belly?"  For a moment I was almost offended, thinking to myself "I've been in the gym 3 times a week every week for the past few months and I do tons of walking.  I do not have a fat stomach!".  Seeing my confused expression another student translated.

Chocolate belly refers to the way a chocolate bar is divided.  Koreans use it to mean 6-pack.  Only in Korea would "chocolate belly" be a compliment!

Here is Hamdeok beach at night from the restaurant overlooking it 

 And a random flower picture for Mom and Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment