Friday, January 29, 2010

Quiet snowy days

Snow days are either a blessing or a curse. When you have to get up before sunrise and go to work... well let's just say I'm not real fond of them then. But on days like today, when you don't have to get up and you can spend the day in quiet reflection, snow-filled air is divine.

I spent the day quietly meditating on my current situation, the blessings in my life and my hopes of future joy. As I sat at my park and looked over its white expanses, I was reminded of both the loneliness and joy inherent in my life here. The cold barren landscape made me feel a sense of isolation, as though I were the only person to behold such wonders. At the same time the deep, rich beauty of its snow covered hills and fields reminded me that I have never been alone. God has been with me every step of the way and the joy I took from that was indescribable. I have struggled with loneliness at times here (who wouldn't in my place). Yet in one moment this night I remembered the truth.

Now my eyes are on the future. While I am having a wonderful time in Prague, more than anything I would like to spend the summer working in Switzerland. I have had a special love for mountains in the summer since I was a small child visiting my grandparents at their cabin in Flagstaff, AZ ever year. And over the years, Dad and I have taken at least 3 summer roadtrips to Colorado (more if you count Rachel's tournaments and family vacations). So a summer in the Swiss Alps sounds like my idea of paradise. I'm going to talk to the head of the program there that i'm interested in this weekend, so prayers for grace and blessing for me would be greatly appreciated.

Since this has been unusually introspective for one of my notes, here are some pictures of previous summer mountain trips to lighten things up :)

Very young me with Granny and Grandad

Flagstaff :)

Colorado (and this is just in the foothills!)

This on the other hand...

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. Love the the introspection and the old photos. We didn't have digs like that to go visit when we were visiting grandparents. Lucky!
    You are awesome, Luke! I do love you!

    ReplyDelete