Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Classes

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
- Robert Frost

I now officially have as many classes as I had originally hoped to teach. I have 15 90minute classes, with the bulk of them on mon, tues, thurs. I am working full time, I have only 1 class on Fridays which I can reschedule if needed (which means I can create a 3 day weekend for traveling nearly at-will), and I love my students. All my students are adults, ranging in age from around 28-55. All my classes are onsite at major corporations like Ikea, Pfizer, and Phillip Morris. And because I’m teaching responsible corporate adults, all my students are there because they want to be. They know how important English is to them and their careers.

I am having a wonderful time teaching them. Every single one of my students is eager and attentive in class. I am becoming better at lesson planning every week (which is by far my weakest area) and my classes have a comfortable, fun feel to them. Since many of my students are often afraid to speak English (for fear of making mistakes), this atmosphere is invaluable to their development.

As of right now, I’m exactly where I had hoped and prayed I would be. My only remaining concern is finishing the process of getting my visa (and that hopefully shouldn’t be a problem). After that, I simply have to teach, travel and enjoy my time during this strange, wonderful twist of fate. "And I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." :)

No comments:

Post a Comment