Monday, October 5, 2009

Germany!!

Hi everyone. For those of you who don’t know, I took a three day trip to Munich, Germany this weekend. It was grand; a wonderful trip that perfectly illustrates why I am over here teaching. The weather was perfect, the atmosphere wonderful and the countryside beautiful.

It started with a 6 hour bus trip from Prague to Munich. Fortunately I sat next to a very very cute American girl who is studying abroad in Prague, so time flew by as I dazzled her with my brilliant intellect, sharp wit and irresistible charm. Ok, so maybe we just had a pleasant conversation but I got her number and have a date with her tomorrow so I guess I did something right.

Once I arrived, I met my friend Jen and went straight to Oktoberfest. This was a great party. It is like crossing the state fair with a pleasant, relaxed European beer garden (with fun music). I met people from every corner of the globe.

After getting a good night’s sleep (don’t ask me how), I got up the next morning and headed for the main train station. I bought a ticket to Neuschwanstein Castle on the Germany-Austria border in the Alps. For those of you who don’t know, Neuschwanstein was the castle that inspired Walt Disney when he made Sleeping Beauty’s Castle and the Disneyland Castle. And as you can plainly see from the pictures, I’m not exaggerating. This place was directly out of a fairy-tale. Its high ivory towers formed a lovely contrast to the lush green valley, the deep blue lakes and the stunning fall leaves of the surrounding mountains. Simply put, it was the most beautiful place on earth I have ever seen.

Sad as I was to leave, I headed back to Munich that night and returned Sunday for another round of Oktoberfest (it was fun during the day but night is when the real party happens). After that I caught the train home (which was not as pleasant a trip due to a group of deafeningly loud drunks and their music in the next compartment)

To sum up, Germany is beautiful, the people are friendly, the countryside is poetically lovely and the weather was stunning. I couldn’t have dreamed of a better trip. I can’t wait for my next adventure.

PS. I’ll write another post with a more routine update. This one is too long already.

(caption not needed)

" "

When in Munich ........

The inside of a beer tent

2 comments: